The /tg/ Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which silo are we going to buy?

+21
Lich
Arisath
Grawflemaul
tetrahedronal
Da Crazy Techmarine
Cynic
durandal
Astra
Pslotha
Anon
HarryDresden
Mordegald
Depraved-anon
Daemonwelsh
Bastaloch
Diggy
GrandHistorian
JonathanDoe
Szayelwho
Mutagen
Scriptarius
25 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Which silo are we going to buy? - Page 4 Empty Re: Which silo are we going to buy?

Post  durandal Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:50 am

I can check in to Arkansas bases, I'm familiar with most of the cities on the list, and I'm in Central AR. I'll make a few road trips starting this Monday and see what I can find.
durandal
durandal

Back to top Go down

Which silo are we going to buy? - Page 4 Empty Re: Which silo are we going to buy?

Post  Da Crazy Techmarine Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:34 pm

durandal wrote:I can check in to Arkansas bases, I'm familiar with most of the cities on the list, and I'm in Central AR. I'll make a few road trips starting this Monday and see what I can find.

Be careful, we want you to report back. Also, if you see a for sale sign, call the broker and ask to see if u can get in. They might keep us in mind for down the road.
Da Crazy Techmarine
Da Crazy Techmarine

Back to top Go down

Post  duck murderer Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:14 pm

Quick question. When it says things like '15,000 square feet of floor space', how much room is that actually, because it means absolutely nothing to me.
duck murderer
duck murderer

Back to top Go down

Post  Szayelwho Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Well, here are a couple of conversion to help get a feel for it.

An acre is 43,560 square feet.

So, roughly 1/3 of that in terms of real space.

For reference, The White House has 55k of floor space, but 6 floors, so about 9k/floor.

It seems most silos on the market have a similar multi-floor building, so take that into account when estimating the size of different structural components.

Since the silo structure has a tunnel network, the total maximal distance between points will be larger, since passageways are very long yet don't eat up a ton of floorspace.
Szayelwho
Szayelwho

Back to top Go down

Post  Tzeentch Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:04 pm

A simple idea if we really want a underground site period if we can't find a normal silo.

http://www.missilebases.com/russellkansas

Such a massive site might be useful, if not as awesome.
Tzeentch
Tzeentch

Back to top Go down

Post  ediskradeht Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:16 pm

duck murderer wrote:Quick question. When it says things like '15,000 square feet of floor space', how much room is that actually, because it means absolutely nothing to me.

A space equal to one 150'x100' room or 100 15'x10' rooms. Only thing to keep in mind is that they probably count all spaces, even spaces that would make horrible living areas. Generator rooms, electrical rooms, hallways, etc.

ediskradeht

Back to top Go down

Post  ediskradeht Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:21 pm

Tzeentch wrote:A simple idea if we really want a underground site period if we can't find a normal silo.

http://www.missilebases.com/russellkansas

Such a massive site might be useful, if not as awesome.

I understand the coolness of a silo, but it is less practical than many other options. I mean, a tall narrow cylinder adds very little floorspace and takes up a munch of room, vertically, that could be used for more floorspace. Short of filling a the silo with many floors of living space ( basically no more silo), it's not worth it IMHO. The cost of such an unpractical site makes this project unlikely to succeed. In my opinion, it's better to make successful baby steps than to leap to your doom.

ediskradeht

Back to top Go down

Post  Tzeentch Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:45 am

Hence the idea of a large undeground space as opposed to a actual silo.
Tzeentch
Tzeentch

Back to top Go down

Post  JonathanDoe Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:03 am

Turning the silo into successive floors of Hotel housing was one of the things tossed out in a previous thread.

I must say, I like the bunker though. 8800 sq ft for 750 is not bad at all.
JonathanDoe
JonathanDoe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tzeentch Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:13 am

Not to mention the Acreage that comes with it.
Tzeentch
Tzeentch

Back to top Go down

Post  Szayelwho Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:30 pm

I believe the best way to both maximize silo usage while still retaining the "cool" factor that comes with having that sort of a space is to essentially coat the walls in living space while retaining a hole down the middle. I'm thinking of a multi-floor cylindrical structure with with a inner glass/plastic cylinder that acts a both a wall and a window into the silo floor. I think this design strategy would allow us to take advantage of the unique assets that we can utilize in this space.
Szayelwho
Szayelwho

Back to top Go down

Post  Tzeentch Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:56 am

Or simply live on the surface and turn the silo into a open air artrium.
Tzeentch
Tzeentch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4