The /tg/ Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Big Suggestion Box

+11
ediskradeht
Nikola Tesla
Astra
HarryDresden
KaiserDrgn
Cynic
The4th1
Anon
Scriptarius
Pslotha
GrandHistorian
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Big Suggestion Box - Page 2 Empty Re: The Big Suggestion Box

Post  Da Crazy Techmarine Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:15 pm

One possible source of workers/restorers is colleges.

Just about every branch of engineering at my college could turn some part of the renovation into a senior/summer project, and possibly we could get some really cutting edge designs/systems put in.

Also, once the site is finalized, we should tap into former workers to see if their experences and thoughts could help us out.
Da Crazy Techmarine
Da Crazy Techmarine

Back to top Go down

Post  Anon Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:16 pm

I like this idea. Would they be free labour, or do we pay the college?

Anon

Back to top Go down

Post  GrandHistorian Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:18 pm

If it was somehow related to a class they would be taking and we could convince the professors to go along with the idea, I think it would be considered a mutual temporary partnership... No monetary exchange required.

Don't quote me on that though.
GrandHistorian
GrandHistorian

Back to top Go down

Post  Da Crazy Techmarine Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:27 pm

Anon wrote:I like this idea. Would they be free labour, or do we pay the college?

it depends. If it was an unpaid internship, they would be not be paid for their time, but we would probaly have to provide room/board etc, in addition to most of the tools they would work with. if it was paid, we could get them to cover more expenses, but we would have to supply all the materials and tools. (this is just a rough estimate)

We would be dealing with individuals, not colleges, but we would have to place listings through them, unless we post on the chans.

One thing we have in our favor, however, is the sheer scale, challege, awsomeness, and exotic nature of the project.

What would you say if you read a resume that had on it "helped convert an old missile silo into a viable deweling/buissness"?

on a side note, consider this my aplication

Last edited by Da Crazy Techmarine on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
Da Crazy Techmarine
Da Crazy Techmarine

Back to top Go down

Post  JonathanDoe Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:04 pm

Hydroponics.

It works for the space station.

I'll freely admit I'm not 100% on the specifics, but I'm sure some of our more /sci/entifically minded are.
JonathanDoe
JonathanDoe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lich Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:25 pm

My thoughts on making funds, would be set up webcams for the various /tg/ related games going on. Believe it or not many people like to watch/listen to podcasts of people running and playing RPGs. Heck we can even do this for the wargames. Then we could make a small amount of money using google ads and stuff along the lines of that. All it would require would be some inexpensive webcams hooked up to the server. Just my thoughts.

Lich

Back to top Go down

Post  Astra Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:54 am

JonathanDoe wrote:Hydroponics.

It works for the space station.

I'll freely admit I'm not 100% on the specifics, but I'm sure some of our more /sci/entifically minded are.

http://www.mayhillpress.com/

Info on working with hydroponics. Not everything, but enough to get those that know nothing about it started.
Astra
Astra

Back to top Go down

Post  Astra Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:13 am

Glutton wrote:Live Video streaming may also bring in some public attention, which means people wanting to go there, which means tourists and costumers.

We may be able to have yearly conventions or something. I don't know it all really depends on how big the place is.

Also, I wouldn't mind being a janitor if it means a free room. I don't know if I'd be able to work at the Silo AND at a normal job though, just to pay for being in the silo.

How do we balance out the whole "Paying your way" Thing?

Maybe it'd be possible for those that lack serious money to do a bit more than anyone else in terms of keeping the thing running. Like having them do Hydroponics duty (Tending the plants and keeping them free of harmful bugs.), bike duty for an extra hour (Someone mentioned gathering power via bike generator.) or just assisting other department heads. Although, by no means am i advocating "The more you pay, the less you work." kind of deal.
Astra
Astra

Back to top Go down

Post  Lich Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:54 pm

This seems quite ideal imo. Carters to both audiences. The rich and the poor.

Lich

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum