The /tg/ Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to live.

+6
The4th1
Anon
Daemonwelsh
Mordegald
Diggy
GrandHistorian
10 posters

Go down

How to live. Empty How to live.

Post  GrandHistorian Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:13 pm

Now that Mordegald has economics and such covered, the problem of living accommodations arises.

How do we acquire electricity, fuel and otherwise?

Recently posted from the thread that started it all:

If anyone were actually serious about this an escrow service be used to fund the purchase of the property, then build a series of living quarters on the surface. Either truck in some mobile homes or build some sort of solid living quarters on the site. Drill a well for water, set up generators for power. Set up a water tower for continuous water supply. Dig out a septic tank series for plumbing. Then have funds set aside for a crew of 50-75 /tg/ers to live on site for 3 months and clean out the silo
The fund would need to provide, food, clothing, equipment, and a decent wage for them too.
For 3 months those people would do the work of cleaning out, pumping out, and sandblasting the interior of the site.
If 50 people couldn't do it in 3 months there's something really wrong with the site.
Only thing is, say each tger gets $1000 a week that's 4000 a month, or 200,000 a month or 600,000 for 3 months for wages (people aren't going to work there for 3 months for nothing especially doing heavy work like that) then tack on rental of heavy equipment (A road grader, dump trucks, back hoes)
The drilling of a well along with pumps, the excavation and installation of septic tanks, the building of on site housing, food, heat, fuel, generators. Yep I bet we'd be looking at over a million just to get the place cleaned out and some aboveground facilities installed. However, once facilities are there, they'd be there for good, and would provide supplimental housing and services.
The water tank though is a must. Consider that a human needs 1 gallon of water a day intake, and 500 people times 1 gallon times 365 days, not counting showering and water use for toilets.

Logistics people, logistics.

Thoughts and expansion required.
GrandHistorian
GrandHistorian

Back to top Go down

How to live. Empty Re: How to live.

Post  Diggy Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:22 pm

I think it'd be wise to try to find the people willing to work for less than 1000 a week. Considering the fact we're providing housing for them, if I'm reading your post correctly, I don't suppose it'd be extremely hard to find people to work for less than what you're saying.

Even if we can only finagle wages down to 900 a week, that's saving $60,000. I'm sure you'll agree that's no small sum.
Diggy
Diggy

Back to top Go down

Post  GrandHistorian Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:30 pm

I completely agree.

Given the primary demographic for traditional games (late teens/early 20s), it would be relatively easy to discover people who are willing to work for less than 1000 a week.

Remember, the economy's in the shitter right now, lots people would be happy (myself included) if the mere option to work for money would present itself.

--EDIT--

A tger recently brought up the idea of sponsors. Games Workshop, Steam, Google, Youtube, the list goes on.
GrandHistorian
GrandHistorian

Back to top Go down

Post  Mordegald Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:35 pm

Obviously we're going to want to hire as few off-site laborers as possible. The community's already paying to get in, so they'd likely put up with just basic services and a guaranteed slot in place of wages, or at least in exchange for a lowered one. Besides, most of us could probably use the exercise. If we have got to hire outside contractors, make sure they only use legal workers. This isn't a racial or politics thing. We're doing something that skirts the ragged edges of legality as it is, we need to keep everything on the level as much as possible.

And as one anon in the thread said, we need to see whose toes we'd be stepping on if we did this ourselves. We need to clear it with whatever military authority used to be in charge of the site before we even look at establishing a job site. If they won't play ball, find another site, or another country if need be. Surely Canada's got a few disused silos kicking around.
Mordegald
Mordegald

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggy Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Consider that it's entirely possible that 500 people wouldn't be living there year-round, and that it'd be like a neckbeard hotel, apart from POSSIBLY a few hundred permanent lodgings.
Diggy
Diggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Daemonwelsh Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:47 pm

I for one would be entirely willing to work there for food, lodging, and gaming.
No money, and I can do whatever work you need me to do.

There are probably many people who would be willing to do this as well, and maybe we don't just have to look at 4chan for help on this...
Daemonwelsh
Daemonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post  GrandHistorian Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Daemonwelsh wrote:I for one would be entirely willing to work there for food, lodging, and gaming.
No money, and I can do whatever work you need me to do.

There are probably many people who would be willing to do this as well, and maybe we don't just have to look at 4chan for help on this...

This mirrors my feelings on this situation exactly.
GrandHistorian
GrandHistorian

Back to top Go down

Post  Anon Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:49 pm

Yeah, once I'm done being a student, if I have the choice between getting a real job, and living in a Bond villain's lair, and being paid in gaming, I know which one I would choose.

Anon

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggy Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:54 pm

I know people really like the idea of powering our own shit with wind and solar equipment, but wind power companies will pay some serious rent for being able to put their turbines on your property, and we won't have to pay for the equipment.

Just food for thought.
Diggy
Diggy

Back to top Go down

Post  The4th1 Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:00 pm

Yeah, once I'm done being a student, if I have the choice between getting a real job, and living in a Bond villain's lair, and being paid in gaming, I know which one I would choose.

I second that, once I've done studying theoretical physics, I'll do this for sure.

The4th1

Back to top Go down

Post  Daemonwelsh Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:01 pm

We should form our own college....
That would probably get us funded as best as we needed.

and it would give us reasons to expand.
Daemonwelsh
Daemonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post  GrandHistorian Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Daemonwelsh wrote:We should form our own college....
That would probably get us funded as best as we needed.

and it would give us reasons to expand.

I'm surrounded by geniuses. I love it.
GrandHistorian
GrandHistorian

Back to top Go down

Post  KaiserDrgn Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:53 pm

I'm willing to do the clean up and construction for just food and board. Hell, I bet you could easily find 50 people similarly willing.

I've done construction. I've done salvage.

I've got a clue about what we are looking at here, in just getting it livable. But damnit, I think it's worth it.

KaiserDrgn

Back to top Go down

Post  HarryDresden Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:01 pm

I'm willing to cook as well as doing design and construction just for my piece of the pie. I'm pretty skilled all around, and there's no doubt there's tons of others like me. Chances are, it'll be easier to find like minded workers in this area.

Look at all the work that goes into Burning Man, and that's just so that you can have art and drugs in the desert.
HarryDresden
HarryDresden

Back to top Go down

Post  The4th1 Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:04 pm

I also wouldn't mind doing restoration work for basic living and maybe a bit extra (gaeman) but that's assuming I come in at the time when this all happens.

The4th1

Back to top Go down

Post  JonathanDoe Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:00 pm

I'm planning on going into Law, and I have connections in the real estate and legal industries.

I can hopefully grease the right wheels and help with discipline and dealings with local law enforcement. Well, kind of, I'm also in Canada atm and for the forseeable future for school.

Also the obvious answer for "How to Live" is 'Like Kings dammit, like Kings.'
JonathanDoe
JonathanDoe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Wakfag123 Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:52 pm

So what exactly would you need to do to be able to live in Nerd Vegas 24/7?

Work full-time to pay for food and lodging?

Make a significant investment? And I mean investment. If I give time and/or money to this project, I want something back.
Wakfag123
Wakfag123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum