The /tg/ Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Business Plan

+12
durandal
Daemonwelsh
Pslotha
Bastaloch
Mutagen
Glutton
Diggy
Scriptarius
Polarium
JonathanDoe
GrandHistorian
Mordegald
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Business Plan - Page 2 Empty Re: Business Plan

Post  GrandHistorian Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:21 pm

In that case, we would need some sort of stock broker dealie to handle the difficult, convoluted world of stocks.

Any takers?
GrandHistorian
GrandHistorian

Back to top Go down

Post  Pslotha Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:27 pm

GrandHistorian wrote:In that case, we would need some sort of stock broker dealie to handle the difficult, convoluted world of stocks.

Any takers?

Oh lawdy! Staulks!?!

I don't think playing russian roulette with money will be the best idea unless we have an autistic guy handle stocks.
Pslotha
Pslotha

Back to top Go down

Post  Scriptarius Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:34 pm

Someone posted this in the thread and I felt it was worth relaying here

#1. Any silo short of a Titan would be strained to hold more than 25 people without major refitting.
#2. People need more space than you realize, theres a reason Japans suicide rate is so high.
#3. If you are going to do this there are several easy money gambits you are missing out on.
A. Government grants. If we are carbon neutral-GRANT, if we use solar panels-GRANT, if we put up wind turbines-GRANT. Wouldn't really be suprisied if there was a "renovate old silos" grant.
B. Schools. #1. This would be a great psychology experiment. If we got the one in colorado, how hard do you think it would be to get Colorado, CSU, Baylor, etc. to put in money to run the occasional experiment? and #2. Why not a nuclear reactor run by a school? Don't you think some west coast Ivy League wannabe school like Cal Tech would jump at the opportunity for their own nuclear reactor? Heck we could even sell the excess electricity to the grid and MAKE money off of this.
Scriptarius
Scriptarius

Back to top Go down

Post  Mordegald Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:53 pm

Scriptarius wrote:Why not a nuclear reactor run by a school? Don't you think some west coast Ivy League wannabe school like Cal Tech would jump at the opportunity for their own nuclear reactor?

There are some significant problems with that. Maintenance will require people with extensive knowledge of the physics behind the process and the machinery itself, all of whom will need dedicated housing. The permanent population of the silo would practically double, and with good reason. One bad bolt and the whole facility could be flooded with superheated and let's not forget radioactive steam. And that's leaving aside the fact that nobody in their right minds would give fissile materials to a bunch of nerdlings and manchildren, no matter what brain trust had their back.

If we're gonna look into energy farming, I'm in favor of wind and solar. Cheaper, less dangerous, and as has already been pointed out we get renewability grants for it.
Mordegald
Mordegald

Back to top Go down

Post  Daemonwelsh Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:54 pm

hey guys... here is a link to a bit of things on the zombie survival and defense wiki about alternative energy...
We can get grants and shit for doing things like this.
http://www.zombiesurvivalwiki.com/thread/4039999/Alternative+Energy
Daemonwelsh
Daemonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post  GrandHistorian Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:57 pm

Mordegald wrote:

If we're gonna look into energy farming, I'm in favor of wind and solar. Cheaper, less dangerous, and as has already been pointed out we get renewability grants for it.

I'm totally for this. If the space we get is large enough, solar power would be incredibly easy to procure (considering almost the entire complex is slated to be underground).
GrandHistorian
GrandHistorian

Back to top Go down

Post  Daemonwelsh Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:02 pm

GrandHistorian wrote:
Mordegald wrote:

I'm totally for this. If the space we get is large enough, solar power would be incredibly easy to procure (considering almost the entire complex is slated to be underground).

http://www.solarhome.org/turbines.aspx
http://www.altenergy.org/renewables/solar.html
http://www.altenergy.org/renewables/solar-map.htm
Daemonwelsh
Daemonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post  durandal Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:59 pm

http://www.sba.gov/smallbusinessplanner/index.html
http://www.sba.gov/smallbusinessplanner/plan/writeabusinessplan/SERV_WRRITINGBUSPLAN.html

The SBA has several good articles on starting a business, including outlines for a formal business plan, which is not a bad idea at this point. I guess we're still in the early stages trying to hammer out the initial Statement of purpose. But there's quite a bit covered in this thread and the others on the business section:
I. The Business
A. Description of business
B. Marketing
C. Competition
D. Operating procedures
E. Personnel
F. Business insurance
It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a basic outline up on Google Docs or something similar and fill it in as this plan develops.
durandal
durandal

Back to top Go down

Post  HarryDresden Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:24 pm

Well, we should farm Solar and wind, and then sell it back to the non-profit power producers. They have to pay us for any energy we put back into the grid. My old teacher used to get a $.96 a month check from the power company because of his windmill.

Also, I suggest we look into geothermal heating for the facility. It'd be cheap, and a easy install, since we're under ground and all...
HarryDresden
HarryDresden

Back to top Go down

Post  Anon Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:26 pm

Sadly, geothermal isn't that simple. Unless the area is volcanically active, you need to drill 4km down to get at the delicious magma. It's not easy.

Anon

Back to top Go down

Post  GrandHistorian Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:28 pm

Geothermal energy is highly situational.

It's all about location, if we can get a good place that is suitable for geothermal farming, then things are just peachy. Also, completely agree with farming renewable, green energy. That would attract lots of tourists as well.

Are there any places in the US that are volcanically active and have abandoned missile silos?

This is sounding more and more like an evil mastermind's hideout with each passing post...
GrandHistorian
GrandHistorian

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynic Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:28 pm

GrandHistorian wrote:This is sounding more and more improbable with each passing post...

FTFY

Cynic

Back to top Go down

Post  Anon Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:34 pm

Well, the Yellowstone area is pretty volcanic. Not sure about silos, and I suspect most of the really good places are national parks, which would put some more limits on us. We really can't afford to sink our own geothermal borehole. That would cost more than everything else combined.

Anon

Back to top Go down

Post  Scriptarius Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:34 pm

We are not going to find suitable geothermal spots near missile silos for obvious lava and nuclear missile related reasons.

Drilling down even from the bottom of the silo would still cost too much for us I'm afraid so it's just wind and solar for now.
Scriptarius
Scriptarius

Back to top Go down

Post  Anon Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:36 pm

How about running water? Are there any rules against/grants for dropping a waterwheel into your local stream, and running a turbine off that? It's more reliable than wind, and I think it would use less acreage than solar. Just a thought.

Anon

Back to top Go down

Post  Astra Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:37 pm

I'm just going to leave this right here....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/biofuel/4213775
Astra
Astra

Back to top Go down

Post  HarryDresden Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:40 pm

Scriptarius wrote:We are not going to find suitable geothermal spots near missile silos for obvious lava and nuclear missile related reasons.

Drilling down even from the bottom of the silo would still cost too much for us I'm afraid so it's just wind and solar for now.

Geothermal is more then just lava flows. Hot spots and warm water wells can be found anywhere.

Anon wrote:How about running water? Are there any rules against/grants for dropping a waterwheel into your local stream, and running a turbine off that? It's more reliable than wind, and I think it would use less acreage than solar. Just a thought.

It varies from region to region, but as I learned in most rural areas it's "50% of the stream can not be impeded, and nothing is allowed to be attached to the bottom of the river, because it's state property."
HarryDresden
HarryDresden

Back to top Go down

Post  Anon Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Of course, the point is moot if we don't have a stream running through the land.

Anon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum