The /tg/ Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm skeptical of this project's chances of survival.

+5
Pslotha
Anon
N. Kiki
SpacePope
Cynic
9 posters

Go down

I'm skeptical of this project's chances of survival. Empty I'm skeptical of this project's chances of survival.

Post  Cynic Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Not trying to troll here, but honestly, it really does look like it is going to fail. I have seen this happen SO many times before. The Pirate Bay's bid to buy Sealand, the Free Nation Foundation, 888chan's nationbuilding experiment, /x/'s plan to buy a town, /sci/'s technocracy... These things never seem to work. There is one obvious reason for it: money. The sheer amount of money you'd need for this project is easily in the millions - hell, I'd say $800,000 at the absolute very minimum. Do you really think you could get that many people to donate that much money for this project, which doesn't have many very good reasons behind it (other than "it'd be cool") in the first place? I'd have to say, probably not.

The one glimmer of hope I see is the idea of buying up some homes in a virtually abandoned area, where home prices have been in free-fall since the 2007 crash. That doesn't rely on raising an enormous amount of money before anybody even sets foot in your little utopia, and it can begin with just one or two individuals.

Again, not trying to troll. Please do not delete this thread because I'd love to be proven wrong, I really would. Some discussion would be wonderful.

Last edited by Cynic on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

Cynic

Back to top Go down

I'm skeptical of this project's chances of survival. Empty Re: I'm skeptical of this project's chances of survival.

Post  SpacePope Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:04 pm

You sound, a bit....
cynical. Cool

SpacePope

Back to top Go down

I'm skeptical of this project's chances of survival. Empty Re: I'm skeptical of this project's chances of survival.

Post  N. Kiki Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:05 pm

What do we have to lose in planning, if we get no further?
N. Kiki
N. Kiki

Back to top Go down

Post  Anon Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:05 pm

SpacePope wrote:You sound, a bit....
cynical. Cool

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Anon

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynic Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:07 pm

SpacePope wrote:You sound, a bit....
cynical. Cool

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Cynic

Back to top Go down

Post  Pslotha Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:07 pm

"Damnit, Jamestown will never work King! Never!"

And then Jamestown worked.

It's called effort and dedication son.

If you want to get real technical about it, the Cheseapeake Bay Colonies had all their people die by age 20ish. Yet they still sent people and it worked.
Pslotha
Pslotha

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynic Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:08 pm

N. Kiki wrote:What do we have to lose in planning, if we get no further?

Nothing except time and hope - but both are rather valuable.

Cynic

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynic Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:11 pm

Pslotha wrote:"Damnit, Jamestown will never work King! Never!"

And then Jamestown worked.

It's called effort and dedication son.

If you want to get real technical about it, the Cheseapeake Bay Colonies had all their people die by age 20ish. Yet they still sent people and it worked.

Did they fund it with the pooled resources of peasants? No. Trying to fund this with the pooled resources of a bunch of college students and neckbeards is about as practical.

Cynic

Back to top Go down

Post  The4th1 Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:12 pm

At the very best, this idea will be planned and refined over the years and such until a time we can afford a site and reasonable landscape but then again at the very worst, interest may wane until everyone abandons is and it's forgotten however at no loss for anyone.

The Organiser could set up a 'fund' account of some sorts. I.E Anyone is not allowed to withdraw money, only deposit/donate/whatever until the target has been reached - only then will you be able to use this money for the sole purpose in which this fund was set up for.
I don't think this exists currently in any system though.

(I also think we should call this Project Silo)

The4th1

Back to top Go down

Post  Astra Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:15 pm

I honestly think this has a chance of working, a small chance, but a chance none the less. Other than the money, all the kinks need to be worked out on how this thing is going to function in the short term as well as the long term.
Astra
Astra

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynic Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:20 pm

Astra wrote:I honestly think this has a chance of working, a small chance, but a chance none the less. Other than the money, all the kinks need to be worked out on how this thing is going to function in the short term as well as the long term.

There is also a very slight chance that monkeys will fly out of my ass.

I can't see this happening as anything other than buying lots of cheap foreclosed houses in some specific area.

Oh, also, I can see the future: if a lot of people decide that the best way to fund a silo is to start a corporation, this project will be fucked - that is how you will know that fuckage is nigh.

Cynic

Back to top Go down

Post  Pslotha Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Cynic, it seems you are implying none of us could fund it. Perhaps not alone we could, but pooling together, this project become feasible.

Merely because you have not had a good experience or have ever witnessed it, when dealing with the setting up a large living quarters, does not mean it isn't possible.

Giving estimates based off nothing helps little, and being an ass hat offers nothing.

Dedication, patience, and hard work can solve this, all we need to to apply those three to this project.

If you aren't interested in this project, then go away, and leave us to our planning. Whether the plan becomes realized, you're guess is as good as mine. But so far, all we can do is come up with a solid, plausible plan.
Pslotha
Pslotha

Back to top Go down

Post  Anon Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:44 pm

I think we benefit from having a nay-sayer around, just to give us some perspective, and to stop us planning where to mount the death-rays. At least until we've got real money in the bank.

Anon

Back to top Go down

Post  Astra Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:29 pm

Anon wrote:I think we benefit from having a nay-sayer around, just to give us some perspective, and to stop us planning where to mount the death-rays. At least until we've got real money in the bank.

Hey hey hey, leave the death-rays out of this. Just because i wanted to mount one in case of future world domination schemes doesn't mean we have to leave them out entirely. lol
Astra
Astra

Back to top Go down

Post  Anon Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:31 pm

Astra wrote:
Anon wrote:I think we benefit from having a nay-sayer around, just to give us some perspective, and to stop us planning where to mount the death-rays. At least until we've got real money in the bank.

Hey hey hey, leave the death-rays out of this. Just because i wanted to mount one in case of future world domination schemes doesn't mean we have to leave them out entirely. lol

It's a freeze ray, not a death ray!

Don't mistake my meaning, I love death rays as much as the next maniacal future dictator. But we need to pay off the mortgage our missile silo before we can consider holding the world to ransom. Otherwise, we'll have to fight off repo men too.

Anon

Back to top Go down

Post  JonathanDoe Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:21 pm

Three million dollars is not as much in the corporate world as you might think.

I was visiting my Uncle a few months ago, he runs a Real Estate Broker company in Toronto. He was finalizing a deal with an Apartment complex owner who wanted to add an extension onto his property and a bank who was going to loan them the money.

The deal was for 5.6 million dollars. It was approved in about two weeks.

Assuming we go into this as a business proposition, between subsidies from government, and loans through a bank, we could do this.
JonathanDoe
JonathanDoe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Vault Dweller Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:43 pm

I think you underestimate the mentality and future prospects of most of /tg/, and indeed 4chan in general. There are a lot of people working dead-end jobs and simply enjoy sitting at home. I'm not insulting the people interested, quite the opposite, but they have every reason to completely shift their lives and cluster for some good times.
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynic Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:07 pm

Huh, this board is practically devoid of discussion less than three weeks after it was set up.

What a surprise.

Cynic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum