The /tg/ Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Children Of The Atom (COTA)

+5
Mordegald
Cynic
Lich
The4th1
Astra
9 posters

Go down

Children Of The Atom (COTA) Empty Children Of The Atom (COTA)

Post  Astra Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:27 am

http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_rel.htm

I slept on this idea and it really, really sounds like a good idea. The link above provides some legal info on becoming a recognized religion.

Now before anyone gets into a moral uproar, what i'm proposing is a way for our organization to become tax exempt. By no means am i saying that you should or have to give up what you already believe in.

The Civil rights Act of 1964 states "To be a bona fide religious belief entitled to protection under either the First Amendment or Title VII, a belief must be sincerely held, and within the believer's own scheme of things religious." (USCA Const. Amend 1: Civil Rights Act 1964 701 et seq., 717 as amended 42 USCA 2000-16)

I need a little help shaping things like a shared ethics code, source of reference for said ethics code. maybe a science book or two?

This is just an idea to help cement our community.
Astra
Astra

Back to top Go down

Children Of The Atom (COTA) Empty Re: Children Of The Atom (COTA)

Post  The4th1 Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:32 am

The Church of the Children of Atom believes that each atomic mass contains an entire universe, and that when an atomic mass is split many universes are created. Therefore, instead of seeing the Great War as destructive, the Church believes it was a creative and unifying holy event.

The4th1

Back to top Go down

Post  Lich Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:24 am

Its a great idea, but wouldn't it be less grey to just create a nonprofit group/organization? Sorry its just I don't want us to be like Scientology, it disturbs me. Fun idea through.

Lich

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynic Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:27 am

I think the "start a science-y religion" idea is a little bit silly, to be honest, but while you guys are considering that, I thought I'd contribute the words of the great teacher Carl Sagan (peace be unto him):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfwY2TNehw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leTNfwfH0Jc

Cynic

Back to top Go down

Post  Astra Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:33 am

Cynic wrote:I think the "start a science-y religion" idea is a little bit silly, to be honest, but while you guys are considering that, I thought I'd contribute the words of the great teacher Carl Sagan (peace be unto him):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfwY2TNehw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leTNfwfH0Jc

You can pass on the idea then. It's really more for those that want that sort of thing.
Astra
Astra

Back to top Go down

Post  Mordegald Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:12 pm

If we want to leave a small room in disrepair (though thoroughly sterilized and divested of hazardous materials and sharp things) and call it a chapel of Atom, then that's alright with me. As long as it's clear from the get-go that it's a tongue-in-cheek Fallout reference and not a sneaky attempt to get out of paying taxes. Light incense, hold sermons, swing creepy glowing boxes marked with trifoils like censers, do whatever, but as part of the tourist attraction. The second we turn this from Nerd Village/Hotel into Underground Bullshit Religious Center we start wearing exactly the wrong kind of public face.

Besides, the government's gonna be inclined to watch us like hawks already. Trying to weasel out of paying taxes is one straw closer to losing the camel.
Mordegald
Mordegald

Back to top Go down

Post  Astra Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:53 pm

Mordegald wrote:If we want to leave a small room in disrepair (though thoroughly sterilized and divested of hazardous materials and sharp things) and call it a chapel of Atom, then that's alright with me. As long as it's clear from the get-go that it's a tongue-in-cheek Fallout reference and not a sneaky attempt to get out of paying taxes. Light incense, hold sermons, swing creepy glowing boxes marked with trifoils like censers, do whatever, but as part of the tourist attraction. The second we turn this from Nerd Village/Hotel into Underground Bullshit Religious Center we start wearing exactly the wrong kind of public face.

Besides, the government's gonna be inclined to watch us like hawks already. Trying to weasel out of paying taxes is one straw closer to losing the camel.

Seemed like a good idea at the time really. Oh well, back to the mad science labs for me then. Very Happy
Astra
Astra

Back to top Go down

Post  HarryDresden Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:02 pm

They seem to be okay with Scientology pulling their shenanigans. As long as you donate to the public welfare, and do what you can for the betterment for mankind, they'll be okay with us.

Now, as a basic principal, I say our main belief should be "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first; Invent the Universe."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc afro
HarryDresden
HarryDresden

Back to top Go down

Post  JonathanDoe Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:20 am

"Space is filled, with a network of wormholes, you might emerge somewhere else in space; somewhen else in time."

I propose Carl Sagan be made out first prophet.
JonathanDoe
JonathanDoe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Daemonwelsh Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:19 pm

we should write our own text for this. start it off as a way of making money.

Possibly use it to get gamer's ready to join.
Daemonwelsh
Daemonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post  KaiserDrgn Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:27 pm

I think a religion could really attract a lot of business and traffic. It's also a great way to draw in interest and money.

Have it focus on a rationalist doctrine. Using logic and scientific method to improve both your life and the life of those around us. Give talks about using one's mind to battle life's problems and how cool thinking can prevail in any circumstance.

Oh, sure there can be some elaborate ceremony involving labcoats, atomic models, and such. But make sure it's all firmly tongue in cheek and everyone knows it's just for the fun of it. Because SCIENCE! is cool.

KaiserDrgn

Back to top Go down

Post  Lich Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:30 pm

Daemonwelsh wrote:we should write our own text for this. start it off as a way of making money.

Possibly use it to get gamer's ready to join.

To me this sounds like one idea to raise money would be to make something along the way of Max Brook's zombie survival. A serious but humorous tone. Expect this book would probably be written along the viewpoint of the members of CoTA. Could be a nifty way to raise some funds. It would be a good Collab.

Lich

Back to top Go down

Post  HarryDresden Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:20 pm

I'm pretty sure that multiple people are writing their own zombie books, not to mention myself. I'm sure we'll find revenue somewhere.
HarryDresden
HarryDresden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum