The /tg/ Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible new website?

+5
Lich
The4th1
Pslotha
KaiserDrgn
Arisath
9 posters

Go down

Possible new website? Empty Possible new website?

Post  Arisath Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:01 pm

We don't really have a way of providing donations to the silo yet, but I think that should be high priority, along with getting the word out, having a face to the project, and getting a newsletter (so people don't forget over time). To that end, I propose a new website with BlackbaudNow, with associated PayPal Business account.
The main thing is, we need someone to host it. Whoever hosts it will have assess to the PayPal account, and thus, to our money. However, if we register as a business, we can all join as limited accounts and keep track of the cash flow. This will allow us to file a claim, or possibly sue for fraud, if the money disappears, with one person to blame.
I am not sure this is a sound plan, so I am asking for input here. Good? Bad? Suggestions for the one to host the site?

Arisath

Back to top Go down

Possible new website? Empty Re: Possible new website?

Post  KaiserDrgn Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:28 am

This sounds like the best idea.

We really need some kinda of visible progress. It doesn't have to be much in the way of actual progress, it just needs look like we are doing more then sitting around on a message board.

Because, I don't know if you've noticed or not, but board participation has been steadily dropping off as people loss interest or decide we can't do it.

Also, we need to have whoever starts the paypal account start up a kickstarter account. Let people who want a stake in this project, people who will live and work at the site, donate using the paypal business acount, while people who just want to throw us some money to see how things turn out can use kickstarter.

KaiserDrgn

Back to top Go down

Post  Arisath Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:24 am

KaiserDrgn wrote:This sounds like the best idea.

We really need some kinda of visible progress. It doesn't have to be much in the way of actual progress, it just needs look like we are doing more then sitting around on a message board.

Because, I don't know if you've noticed or not, but board participation has been steadily dropping off as people loss interest or decide we can't do it.

Also, we need to have whoever starts the PayPal account start up a kickstarter account. Let people who want a stake in this project, people who will live and work at the site, donate using the PayPal business account, while people who just want to throw us some money to see how things turn out can use kickstarter.

The kickstarter thing is a great idea, but it can only do 1-90 days.
I propose a kickstarter account that has the following goal:
$200000 (for facility)
x4=$800000 (to make sure all costs are covered)
/5=$160000 (a five year fund-gathering stage)
/4=$40000 (lasts three months, so 4 accounts per year)
Each kickstarter account will have a goal of $40000, which, over 5 years, will be more than enough to fund the project.
Money will be immediately moved to the PayPal account so everyone connected to the account can see it. Someone will then add these funds to a meter on the new website, tracking progress.
Thoughts?

Arisath

Back to top Go down

Post  KaiserDrgn Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:52 am

While I think $40,000 a reasonable goal for a kickstarter, and anything much over is unrealistic to expect from personal donations, I'm not sure kickstarter allows the creations of repeated accounts to raise funds.

But that's secondary to getting a nice front page set up, with a big shiny PayPal button for donations.

At some point, people are just going to have to bite the bullet, and chose someone to trust with the money. Even if people know that they can just sue for their money back if it vanishes, it's still going to be a leap of faith people will just have to take.

We will have to make that leap, or we will never get anywhere. After all, no risk, no rewards.

KaiserDrgn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pslotha Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:10 pm

Sounds like a great plan, I'll start coming up with some ideas. Even if they won't be used they'll be great practice!
Pslotha
Pslotha

Back to top Go down

Post  The4th1 Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:39 pm

That sounds like a good idea. Someone hosting and maintaining a site would be a good start, and then possibly make a summary of what we've discussed and determined too.

The4th1

Back to top Go down

Post  Lich Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Should I get a kickstart account started or does someone else want to cover that?

Lich

Back to top Go down

Post  KaiserDrgn Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:13 pm

Whoever gets the kickstarter should be the same that has control of the paypal, I think. Keep all the money together so we can clearing know how much we have. When the kickstarter pays out, it goes directly into the paypal account that can be monitored for embezzlement.

KaiserDrgn

Back to top Go down

Post  durandal Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:30 am

I bought tijisector.org awhile back for another /tg/ related project that never got off it's ass. I've put up a small html page for the missile silo project (mainly things stolen from these forums), but I don't have a problem installing wordpress or some other form of content management and opening it up to the community. The only thing my host does not allow is IRC, but anything else you could want on the site I could install or write a script for.

http://tijisector.org
durandal
durandal

Back to top Go down

Post  Pslotha Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:37 am

>Go to site
>See logo I made
>Todayisgoingtobealright.jpg

You're a bro, bro.
Pslotha
Pslotha

Back to top Go down

Post  JonathanDoe Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:26 am

A new site sounds awesome. I've experience running forums, but not websites, so if you could toss in a tab to link here on the site, whatever else needs to be done there would be up to you.

Feel free to email me if you want to discuss matching themes or anything else on here. I'd be interested in learning about site admin too if you need some help, I'm a quick study.
JonathanDoe
JonathanDoe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Da Crazy Techmarine Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:54 am

Question:

Will it be possible to migrate the user profiles and passwords to the new site? That way, people don't have to make a new account.

im just afraid some troll will namesteal and set us back a while.
Da Crazy Techmarine
Da Crazy Techmarine

Back to top Go down

Post  JonathanDoe Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:45 pm

There isn't any way, as far as I know. Just sign up with the same email, and if there is an issue PM me or durandal.
JonathanDoe
JonathanDoe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  HarryDresden Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:25 pm

I approve of this. Get a big huge shiny paypal gear button, and have people start donating! I believe that anyone who is willing to be Treasurer should have their personal contact information available to the group members, not only for saftey reasons, but contact information as well. We need to find someone who is willing to put themselves out there, for the good of the group, to help keep the finances in check, and to keep our dream alive.
HarryDresden
HarryDresden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum