The /tg/ Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Important: Timeframe

+5
Astra
Mordegald
Pslotha
N. Kiki
Elegant Gentlemen
9 posters

Go down

Important: Timeframe Empty Important: Timeframe

Post  Elegant Gentlemen Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:34 pm

So I noticed in the headcount thread that many of us are students who are dedicated to finishing college before being able to actually be on site, and some even intend to do grad school afterward. This brings up a pertinent question: what should the general timeframe of this project look like? With a significant number of people still in school for 2-5 years, how willing are people to stay with the project if it looks like a more long-term plan than some originally thought?

Personally I see our large current undergrad representation as a strength. It seems to me pretty unlikely that getting this done overnight would be even remotely feasible anyway, but if we all understand that this is a long-term ongoing project then we have some time to get our act together. The way I envision this actually coming to fruition would be that we continue to gather members on /tg/ and other forums, build a dedicated and committed group here (we don't want people who will get bored and lose interest in a week anyway), and spend however much time is necessary (again, this could be a few years) for raising funds, figuring out logistics, getting to know each other, and generally getting the project organized. We gradually get each important issue figured out, so that eventually we will be a community who has been preparing for this for quite a while, which also helps with building trust between core members for when we actually have to start moving money around.

Anyway, everyone should put in their input on this issue, since IMO the most important hurdle we have to deal with now is making sure we have a group of people who are willing to actually commit to doing this and are all on the same page with how long it will take. Of course if I misjudged our userbase and we have enough working men to get started sooner I'd be pleasantly surprised, but the way I see it we need to prepare for a long term project.
Elegant Gentlemen
Elegant Gentlemen

Back to top Go down

Important: Timeframe Empty Re: Important: Timeframe

Post  N. Kiki Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:44 pm

Step 1: We plan this shit for two years, raise funds during the later half.
N. Kiki
N. Kiki

Back to top Go down

Post  Pslotha Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:02 pm

N. Kiki wrote:Step 1: We plan this shit for two years, raise funds during the later half.

This.
Pslotha
Pslotha

Back to top Go down

Post  Mordegald Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:48 pm

Double this. Still, we might want to jump on the government arm of the fundraising. I don't know how long energy grants and the like usually take to go through, but if it's anything like everything else the government does we'll be lucky to see so much as a confirmation letter within a year. And that's after we have a coherent and feasible plan together, mind.
Mordegald
Mordegald

Back to top Go down

Post  Astra Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:49 pm

This is above all else, is what troubled me the most about the project. When i was with /x/ when they were planning something similar (They considered branching out to islands), the whole thing came almost to a dead halt when the majority of the people still had to deal with school stuff. I honestly think that's why the project died. Either that or ADD. lol

Two year planning sounds good, but what else is there to hammer out in the project?
Astra
Astra

Back to top Go down

Post  Lich Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:51 pm

Wait, wait, we want to spend two years planning. As much as a good idea that all sounds, I would be raising funds and making plans. To me the biggest hurdle would be actually fixing up the place. Thats the tough part. Because thats when we stop thinking, in theory. And more so in actuality. I dont find any rush to complete this project but if you leave it alone enough it WILL die. my 2 cents

Lich

Back to top Go down

Post  Daemonwelsh Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:20 pm

during those two years we need to get funding.

So I suggest a timeline of:
2-3 years to gather funding.
1-2 years to fix the silo and build basic facilities
2-4 years to build nerdvana/vegas/whatever above ground thing we want
so minimum of 5 years that we need to get going, and about 9 years maximum to get it done.

And that is before we get any return on investment.
Daemonwelsh
Daemonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post  Da Crazy Techmarine Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:41 pm

Daemonwelsh wrote:during those two years we need to get funding.

So I suggest a timeline of:
2-3 years to gather funding.
1-2 years to fix the silo and build basic facilities
2-4 years to build nerdvana/vegas/whatever above ground thing we want
so minimum of 5 years that we need to get going, and about 9 years maximum to get it done.

And that is before we get any return on investment.

that will make sense, becasue keep in mind, we are working with limited resources right now, and we can't do anything without resources. read through the rough fund list i put up an see what you think, and maybe we can start some of this stuff by the end of sept
Da Crazy Techmarine
Da Crazy Techmarine

Back to top Go down

Post  Tzeentch Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:40 pm

So a decade? This simply is a really bad thing, since there is no guarantee in the first place that it will get off the ground in the first place. Regardless, if the funding increases, or simply the pool of interested people grows larger, its entirely possible to shave years off the timeline.
Tzeentch
Tzeentch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum